The End Is The Beginning.. We got a chance to break down Sanctifieds recent EP “Happy Life Decisions”
- How long did it take to make your project from start to finish, recording-wise?
Khalil: It took use roughly 5 days to write, record & mix the whole ep.
Brett: yeah, and that was with collaboration with LEANDO. It came together crazy fast.
- What kind of ‘sound’, production wise, did you have in your mind, prior to entering the studio?
B: it’s kind of invasive. Like it is meant for the listener to become a role in the “story”. As far as sound, every track has a very different vibe to it.
K: We wanted to put the listeners in a real life scenario. You relate to one of the 3 characters in the story in some way.
3: What kind of input did the producer have during the process
And are you pleased with the final outcome?
K: Everyone was pretty much on the same picture with everything. The project came out how we envisioned it.
B: I’m really pleased. It’s so different so it’s easy to get in your head and be like “are people going to get it”. But at the end of the day we love it.
- Did the producer / (you) use any (weird) experimental mixing and/or recording techniques?
K: We had to act a little bit and get out of our normal mindset. I felt weird at first but began to come natural.
B: yeah we had some weird methods to get a specific sound we imagined. I wanted to sound different in the first track so I rolled up a napkin and put it behind my lip, haha. Like Khalil said, we were playing roles and had to get into character.
- Please inform us about your favourite songs and lyrical highlights and why?
B: “LIFE” is def my favorite. It’s when the EP flips and the listener realizes something weird is going on. And LEANDO is fire on the hook.
K: My favorite song would have to be “decisions”. It was the most challenging to me bc I had to think outside of the box when writing and my delivery. Also, I think we all synced in together pretty well & Andy killed the spoken word at the end.
- Any overall theme of mood that you’re trying to capture with the project?
Really just concluding the story in a way that the listeners can understand and is eye-opening. We don’t really want to give away what that conclusion is, but it’s definitely a serious topic of drug/alcohol abuse.
- Does your vision for coming up with music get affected at all by time?
Of course. We all have different schedules and Andy & Leanza live in a different city. Whenever we are together we basically make an itinerary and just grind.
- How would you describe the sound of your tape to any potential new fan?
- Who are your influences and heroes? (music-wise)
B: all-time is definitely still MJ. Hands down. And then the one I get inspired by the most today is Andy Mineo.
K: BEAM, Andy Mineo, Lecrae,
Kendrick & J cole.
- If there’s anything you’d like to add, say, please do:
K: Stream “HAPPY LIFE DECISIONS”, follow us on IG, we may or may not drop another EP right after this ??♂️ who knows. BIG THANK YOU TO LEANDO! Go stream & follow their music!
B: listen to HAPPY LIFE DECISIONS. Can’t stress enough that you gotta listen all the way through without skipping or it’ll be real confusing.
See more from Sanctified @sanctifiedmusic on Ig, & stream “Happy Life Decisions” out not on all major platforms!